The beautiful brick structure on Mercer Avenue was built in 1882-84 as the First Universalist Church, being dedicated February 10, 1884. The building is of pressed brick with stone trimmings, costing $16,000, the larger part of which was donated by Mrs. Chloe Pierce. Mrs. Pierce also placed a fine pipe organ in the church as a memorial to her sister, Mrs. Abida H. Boles. In 1887-88 the sons of Mrs. Chloe Pierce built a beautiful and substantial parsonage costing $4,000 and presented it to the church as a memorial to their mother.
Resting on a rusticated sandstone foundation, the church is contructed of red pressed brick contrasted with Amherst bluestone trim.
The church's architect, Samuel W. Foulk, designed the layout to follow the Akron plan.
Of the thirty stained glass windows, most are composed of hammered rolled cathedral glass in patterns ranging from simple geometric designs to more complex floral motifs and Christian symbols with occasional jewels.
The pipe organ, built by the Pomplitz Company of Baltimore as Opus 227, is original to the church. Its red oak casing echoes the paneling of the wainscoting and doorway reveals, with the addition of carved black walnut decorative inlays. The organ retains its original stoplist and tracker.
The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 29, 2003.